Most people only know lemongrass as that odd looking ingredient in their grocery store that looks like a combination of grass and a wood stick. Often used in Thai, Chinese, and Caribbean cooking for its lemony flavor and aroma, its essential oil also provides many health benefits and smells similar to lemon with a sweet and earthy undertone.
Generally recommended as safe (GRAS) for consumption from the FDA, lemongrass essential oil is not only used to cook with, but is also commonly used aromatically to help promote awareness and purification.
Lemongrass has historically been used to help soothe aching muscles and joints, support healthy digestion, and as flavor for cooking. Research is beginning to support its use in cellular health (DDR Prime).
Lemongrass has also been studied for its antimicrobial benefits. It is used for a variety of reasons and found in dōTERRA’s DDR Prime, TerraShield, and Clear Skin essential oil blends.
Lemongrass essential oil blends well with basil, clary sage, eucalyptus, coriander, geranium, lavender, and melaleuca essential oil.
Tips from dōTERRA:
- Dilute with a carrier oil first when using topically as lemongrass essential oil can irritate sensitive skin.
- Rub or spritz on skin before going outside. Lemongrass essential oil naturally repels insects and is one of the essential oils in our TerraShield essential oil blend.
- To help soothe sore joints or muscle sprains, combine equal parts fractionated coconut oil and lemongrass oil and rub topically on area of concern.
Tips from our Facebook Fans:
- “I use it on my massage clients who are dealing with muscle spasms. Works amazing!” -Peggy Lutz Renshaw
- “[I use it] for bruising and for mosquito repellent. I put it on my granddaughter at a bird refuge (tons of mosquitoes). I literally watched them fly away from her and land on other kids. She didn’t get bit! And she smelled nice.” -Amy Higgs
- “I often use lemongrass as a perfume, which is always a conversation starter to share oils. [I use lemongrass essential oil] on my stomach for my gastritis, I diffuse to elevate my mood and to warm my house, and anywhere on my back, knees, hips, etc. for my rheumatoid arthritis. Thanks, dōTERRA!” -Laura Jones
- “I gave it to my mom to use on her toe fungus. She was a bit skeptical about it, but she used it. The next time she visited her podiatrist, she asked him about it, he told her it was the safest way to get rid of her fungus.” -Anjie Wiliams
- “I make an air freshener spray with water, lemongrass and geranium – it makes my home smell so fresh and clean! I use it several times a day!” -Courtney Bridgers
- “Lemongrass is so great for damaged connective tissue. When I use it, my healing time is a fraction of what it would be without it.” -Kaylee Ririe
- “Today I used it mixed with bergamot for a natural deodorant.” -Joni Tucker Lang
*These statements have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. dōTERRA products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. Pregnant or lactating women and persons with known medical conditions should consult a physician prior to the use of any dōTERRA product. The statements shared from our Facebook page are the personal opinion of independent persons and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of dōTERRA International, LLC.